John M. Fluke, Jr. was born in Washington DC and became a ‘virtual’ Seattle native at age 10 when his father moved the then four-year old Fluke Corporation from Springdale, Connecticut to Seattle in 1952. John earned a BSEE degree from the University of Washington in 1964 and an MSEE degree from Stanford University in 1966. He joined FLUKE Corporation in mid-1966 as an engineer, ultimately working his way up to Chief Executive Officer in 1983 and then Chairman of the Board in 1984 following the death of his father. FLUKE Corporation was sold to Danaher Corporation in 1998 and subsequently spun out of Danaher as Fortive Corporation (http://www.fortive.com/business-segments ) in 2015.
John also served as an independent director of PACCAR Inc (http://www.paccar.com/media/2332/paccar-ar_2014.pdf) from January 1984 through April 2015.
John founded Fluke Capital Management, LP in 1978, serving as its Chairman from then to the present. Fluke Capital Management formed its Fluke Venture Partners unit in 1982. Following the formation of Fluke Venture Partners II in 2004 as an SBIC, Fluke Capital Management, LP was prohibited by SBA regulations from being its managing general partner and, further, was confined to a minority Limited Partner interest in FVP II, so John became an independent angel investor, assembling his own port folio of companies (hereinafter the Fluke Port Folio).
In 2014, two Fluke Port Folio companies realized successful exits:
- Abacast, Inc. was acquired by Wide Orbit (http://www.wideorbit.com/wideorbit-acquires-abacast/)
- Precision Genome Engineering, Inc. was acquired by Bluebird Biotechnology, Inc. (http://investor.bluebirdbio.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251820&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1943834).
Current Fluke Port Folio companies are:
- 42 Memory Lane, Inc. (website under development)
- M3 Biotechnology, Inc. (http://m3bio.com/m3-biotechnology-inc-is-the-first-company-in-the-west-to-be-singled-out-for-recognition-by-the-science-coalition/)
- Inc. (http://www.maestrosoft.com)
- Matchstick Technologies, Inc. (website under development)
- Reedholm Systems, Inc. (http://reedholmsystems.com)
- ReelSONAR, Inc. (https://reelsonar.com)
- SuperCritical Technologies, Inc. (https://supercritical.tech)
- Tilting Motor Works, Inc. (https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com)